328 6th Avenue
Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
- Please use out 325 Oliver Avenue entrance and take the elevator to the 1st floor.
Restrooms Available: Yes
Designed by architect Gordon Lloyd in1870-71, the church's parish house was designed in 1907 by Crocker & Carpenter.The carved stone pulpit was built in 1922 to the design of the renowned American architect Bertram G. Goodhue.
Tour guides will be available to discuss history of the congregation and features of the architecture.
There will be organ music at various times over the two days:
3p-3:30pm Organ Recital
Sunday -- 1-1:30pm: Organ Recital,
In October of 1787 land was given by the heirs of William Penn. The ground was originally uses by Native Americans, the French at Fort Duquesne, and British at Fort Pitt, as a burial ground. In 1805 a charter was given for Trinity. The first church was octagonal and known as "The Round Church." In 1825 a Gothic structure was built on the current site and was consecrated the new Trinity Church.
The present church was completed in 1872, a stone building with spire and clock, built in the English Gothic style and designed by architect Gordon W. Lloyd. Known as Trinity Church the spire is 200 feet tall. At the time of construction the columns and piers of arches were made of red Massillion sandstone. The original white mahogany pews are still in use today.
In 1927 Trinity Church became Trinity Cathedral. In 1967 a fire swept through the church and as a result it was decided to modernize the church. The altar was brought forward making a free standing altar and placing the choir and organ to the rear of the chancel. New windows replaced the side ones destroyed by the fire. A 14-foot suspended cross, made of steel, glass, and aluminum (in honor of Pittsburgh's major industries), was installed above the altar.
A few features of note:
In 1922 a marble pulpit by Bertram Grosvener Goodhue was installed. It was exquisitely carved with figures of the four Evangelists interspersed with early rectors of Trinity. The pulpit is still in use today.
A series of stained glass windows were installed in 1968 designed by Hunt Stained Glass Studios in a style chosen similar to that found in Medieval cathedrals. Designed to be series they depict Christ active in every aspect of life.
Our colorful baptismal font is from the original trinity church (1825-1871) and is still in use today.
Our burial ground once contained the graves of over 4,000 persons. By 1908 the Burying Ground was reduced to its present size. The Burying Ground is the oldest unreconstructed historic site in the City of Pittsburgh.