812 Liberty Avenue
Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
Restrooms Available: Yes
Built in 1912-13 and designed in the Neoclassical style by Pittsburgh architect Edward Lee, this building was originally the Liberty Theatre, and then the Academy Theatre, until 1923 (except for 1918 when it was called the Follies Theatre). After its life as a theater, it became office and retail space named the “Loft Building”, where the Grafner Brothers jewelry store was until 2008.
Machine Culture introduces a group of young artists equally fascinated by the mechanical. The kinetic qualities of gears in motion and motorized moving parts produce both ironic and amusing results, operating with varying degrees of autonomy and control, function and dysfunction, and sometimes generating unpredictable results. Like Tinguely’s absorption with building up and breaking down, these artists orchestrate and transform bits and pieces of discarded industrial objects and post-consumer technology, reconfiguring them into “objects of fascination.”
A vital component of The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust’s Visual Arts programming, SPACE presents five to six exhibitions annually, offering emerging artists an opportunity to advance projects in a supportive setting.
While SPACE does not actively commission new works, many artists that exhibit work at SPACE are provided with resources — labor, technology and guidance, as well as funding to execute their ideas.