620 Smithfield Street | 10 am to 4 pm
Visit Pittsburgh’s oldest congregation and see windows depicting Gospel stories and the history of Pittsburgh, including Lincoln’s 1861 visit to the City. The 1787 Penn Charter, giving the land to the church will also be on display.
NOTE: At 1:00PM, Music Director, James Varner will play the church’s magnificent organ, demonstrating his skill and the beauty of the instrument.
At 2:00PM and 3:00PM Congregation President, Jon Colburn will lead a group to the bells and the base of the steeple. This involves climbing stairs and is available to the first ten (20) people, ten (10) for 2:00PM and ten (10) for 3:00PM on a first come, first serve basis.
ABOUT THIS BUILDING
Situated on a Penn Family land grant, Smithfield United Church of Christ is home to Pittsburgh’s oldest congregation, dating back to 1782. Built as the German Evangelical Protestant Church and designed by Henry Hornbostel, this building, dedicated in 1927, is the fifth home to our congregation on this site. A true skyscraper, the steel frame and curtain-wall construction make the huge stained-glass panels in the sanctuary possible. The windows depict Gospel stories as well as the history of Pittsburgh, including Lincoln’s 1861 visit to the city.
Wheelchair Accessible Entrance: YES
Wheelchair Accessible Restrooms: NO
Public Restrooms: YES
Photography Allowed: YES