436 Seventh Avenue
Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
Restrooms Available: No
The 34-story Art-Deco Koppers Building was designed in 1927-29 by Chicago architecture firm Graham, Anderson, Probst and White. This firm was the successor to D.H. Burnham & Company. Commissioned by Andrew Mellon, it is made of limestone with a copper chateauesque roof and was named after the Koppers Chemical Corporation.
While visiting the lobby, learn more about the art deco features of this building from the Docent who will be onsite, and we invite you to take time to enjoy the historical photographs on display in the gallery and also at the Grant Street side of the building.
The Koppers Building is a historical building, commissioned by Andrew W. Mellon. Groundbreaking took place in the fall of 1927 and was ready for occupancy in the spring of 1929.
The design was by the architectural firm Graham, Anderson, Probst and White, with E.P. Mellon serving as advisory architect, and the general contractor was Mellon Stuart. It is named after Koppers Chemical Corporation.
The building exemplifies the design concepts of the Art Deco movement prominent throughout the 1920’s and 1930’s. It is 475 feet above street level and has 34 floors.
The roof is pitched in a chateau-like design and is illuminated at night. The green roof is made of copper sheets over quarry tile. The dramatic three-story lobby is richly decorated in marble and the elevator doors were recently restored to emphasize the extraordinary detail.