620 Smithfield Street
Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
Restrooms Available: Yes
Situated on a Penn Family land grant, Smithfield United Church of Christ is home to Pittsburgh’s oldest congregation, dating back to 1782. Built as the German Evangelical Protestant Church and designed by Henry Hornbostel, this building, dedicated in 1927, is the fifth home to our congregation on this site. A true skyscraper, the steel frame and curtain-wall construction makes the huge stained-glass panels in the sanctuary possible. The windows depict Gospel stories as well as the history of Pittsburgh, including Lincoln’s 1861 visit to the city.
Visit Pittsburgh’s oldest
congregation and see windows
depicting Gospel stories and the
history of Pittsburgh, including
Lincoln’s 1861 visit to the city.
NOTE: Special programming available:
At 1:00PM, Music Director, James Varner will play the church’s magnificent organ.
At 2pm and 3pm, Facilities Chair, Jon Colburn will lead a group to the bells and the base of the steeple. This involves climbing stairs and is available only to the first five (5) people, on a first come, first served basis. Claim your ticket at the church as early as 10am for the day’s climb.